Skip to main content

One way to do away with diets – which are often ineffective – is to follow the 80/20 rule. This magic formula allows you to find a balance between a healthy diet and gourmet foods.

A look back at how the 80/20 rule promises to help you reach your ideal weight without depriving yourself.

No more diets which, in the end, usually make you regain the lost weight anyway. The 80/20 method aims to help you rebalance your diet over the long term. It’s not even really a diet, but a whole new set of eating habits to adopt. The main objective is to lose weight and above all to stabilize your weight, without more yo-yo dieting or weight gain as soon as you start eating normally again.

The rule is simple. This is to ensure that 80% of your meals are healthy and balanced recipes, while the remaining 20% ​​can be “pleasure foods”. With this approach, you are entitled, for example, to two “cheat meals” per week. This method is based on the Pareto principle. According to this rule, described by the Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto, about 80% of the consequences are produced by only 20% of the causes. Such observations are also found in the world of work, economy and food.

Image: Courtesy of Clark Douglas/@clark_douglas/Unsplash

The method requires a balanced diet 80% of the time. Thus, fruits, vegetables, vegetable proteins, legumes, meat or fish will constitute 80% of your meals. You need to eat a variety of foods, in appropriate amounts, and avoid overly processed foods as much as possible.

For the remaining 20% ​​of meals, you can relax and indulge yourself with a rich diet that brings you pleasure. From burgers to fries, chocolate and pizza, there are no forbidden foods as long as the quantities remain reasonable.

To boost the effects of this new diet, add some exercises, such as walking, running or yoga.

This story is published via AFP Relaxnews.

[Hero and Featured Image: Courtesy PeopleImages/Getty Images]